Public Housing/Section 8

If you are a rental in housing subsidized by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) – referred to commonly as “Section 8 Housing” – you have specific rights and responsibilities under federal law and the Section 8 contract between your landlord ad HUD, as well as the protections under the state’s Residential Landlord-Tenant Act.  Similarly, if you live in rental housing subsidized by another government agency such as the Seattle Housing Authority, you have additional rights and responsibilities.

Section 8 and other subsidized housing issues can be very complex, and the stakes can be very high if your housing subsidy is at risk.  You should consult with an attorney or a legal advocate who specializes in subsidized housing issues.  See the Resources section for organizations that assist and advise subsidized housing tenants.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s